DIRECTOR OF PROJECT DEVELOPMENT
Position posted: May 10, 2017
Start date: On or before August 15, 2017
Location: First year based in East Africa (Kampala/Kigali) with California base and ~25% travel thereafter
To apply: Submit CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Following the successful demonstration of our waste processing service and fuel product in Kigali, Rwanda, Pivot has reached an inflection point and is shifting from research and development to commercial growth. The Vice President of Sales will play a critical role in this transition, being chiefly responsible for developing Pivot’s international sales strategy and for managing its successful implementation.
The emphasis of the role is on developing – and securing – a pipeline of credible deals for Pivot Works factories, but the successful candidate will also be charged with exploring strategic multi-national partnerships for our fuel sales and with back-stopping Pivot’s relationships and negotiations with existing Pivot Fuel customers.
The role is a split between strategic, headquarters-based development of Pivot’s structure and model for rapid profitable growth and international, on-the-ground pitching of and deal-making for Pivot’s core services.
- Work with the executive team to develop a detailed scaling strategy that maps out the necessary sales cycle and revenue to sustain the company and a pathway for meeting or beating those goals.
- Build out and manage the team and other resources required to successfully execute the scaling strategy.
- Manage an increasingly global group of project development firms, brokers, and/or sales agents who are working on behalf of Pivot to forge deals.
o Train agents on the project-level financials, negotiable terms, etc., and oversee and back-stop all negotiations.
- Develop Pivot’s deal flow and pipeline through direct engagement with target cities and by developing relationships with key financiers, donors, and power brokers in the sanitation space and/or in target geographic areas.
- Provide technical expertise in PPP structuring, contract development/drafting, negotiations and project finance, and manage any related technical advisors and partners.
- Assess regulatory frameworks and legal and institutional environments in target regions and document potential risks, threats, and mitigation strategies.
- Interface with all key parties in a project deal, including municipalities, financiers, and legal teams.
- Experience structuring PPPs for sanitation or other infrastructure; fluency in infrastructure financing models and an understanding of implications of different terms and financing strategies for the public and the private partner. This skill-set and experience is required for the role.
- Track record of successful project development deals and transactions including negotiation of PPPs, especially in developing countries. Experience negotiating with and marketing to international governments. This skill-set and experience is essential for the role.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s level training in economics, finance, law, international business or other discipline relevant to PPPs and international project development.
- Knowledge of financiers (e.g., donors, impact investors, infrastructure and climate funds) who are active in sanitation and/or renewable energy.
- Strong communication and presentation skills with comfort operating in an international environment, and engaging in negotiations.
- Willingness to live and travel internationally, 100% time in year one with decrease in travel as sales team expands.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated business sense.