CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER
Position posted: July 22, 2016
Start date: Before end of 2016
Location: First 6 months in Kigali, Rwanda; flexible location - with travel - thereafter
To apply: Submit CV and cover letter to email@example.com
The CTO will be coming on board a fast changing and growing start-up company, so must thrive in an environment of uncertainty and risk taking, and must be quick to adapt to new constraints and trajectories. As the top technologist on our team, the CTO is responsible for driving efficienciy gains, innovation, and cost savings within the company's human-waste-to-fuel process train. Liaising closely with the CEO and COO, the CTO will ensure that the company's technology strategy is always aligned with the business strategy and mission.
Equally important as driving technology, the CTO will be a mentor for the engineering staff; they should enjoy developing younger talent, must inspire action and company engagement, and must act as a model of work ethic. We expect our CTO to exemplify company culture, which means being fun, smart and intellectually curious, and passionate about toppling the status quo.
The CTO's key responsibilities include:
- Identifying opportunities for technical innovation and driving toward implementation;
- Maintaining a deep and up-to-date understanding of alternative technology options and their relative costs and benefits;
- Forging partnerships and managing relationships with key technology providers as well as with potential partners for vertical integration; and
- Overseeing the company's Production Managers and Innovation team.
Among the key expectations of the CTO are the following:
- Sophisticated and nuanced understanding of our technology process with the ability to see macro and micro elements of the process simultaneously;
- Skilled at assessing risk and opportunity;
- Able to coach and grow technical leaders within the organization;
- Adept at employing the "80/20" rule; achieving 805 of the goal/learning for 20% of the cost; and
- Proficient with the development and application of techno-economic analyses.
- M.S. in Civil & Environmental Engineering or related engineering discipline;
- At least 10 years experience in industry, including hands-on knowledge of plant commissioning and operation - wastewater treatment preferred;
- At least 5 years in a technical leadership position;
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial setting and proven track record of success during a company's growth phase desired; and
- Demonstrated experience leading R&D efforts.